The Possibility of Using Flying Boats as Public Transportation System

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GalacticAc, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What is flying boats?
    Boats with {NoGravity:1b}
    This allows boat to sail in the air like sailing in water (travels at 8m/s), but you can't fly up or down.
    How can we make this?
    It's really easy to make, firstly we need to set up air ports at warps.
    Here is a example of one:
    4.png
    The launch pad is on the ground, stepping on it will teleport you to the main station up in high air.
    5.png
    This is how a station looks like, I recommend to build it over y=150 (>200 is the best) and all of them should be on the same altitude (since boats can't fly up or down)
    3.png
    Interior of the station
    6.png
    Right clicking the sign will summon a boat for the player to ride (They are same as normal boat but have no gravity)
    1.png
    And you can have a pleasant journey while enjoying the view below!
    Also, besides official stations at warps, we can allow players to build their own stations, to do this we can sell command blocks containing /summon minecraft:boat ~ 200 ~ {NoGravity:1b} at billy for like a couple of db (since you can't modify the command in survival)
    What are the pros/cons?
    Pros:
    Nice speed (8m/s, slightly faster then walking, but not fast enough to make elytra/iceboat useless)
    Little requirement of setup (no track needed)
    Still makes traveling enjoyable
    No need to worry about terrain obstacles (which is the most annoying part of walking.
    Can be a unique aspect of our server while still being semi-vanilla
    Cons:
    Can lead to boat duping.
    Rn you will get kicked for riding flying boat (Probably can be fixed)

This idea is still WIP so I'm open to criticism

2. How could this lead to boat duping?

3. you click the sign, obstruct the boat and repeat

4. Ikith

Ikith Master

How would this be any different from allowing people to straight up fly?!

Maybe if we put them on a track it wouldn't be bad, but at that point we just may as well make a mine cart system in the sky, less chance of abuse and even then, whats the point? Using the warp buttons is instant...

I really see no advantages to what is currently in place and tons of disadvantages and points to abuse it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. It's much less flexible than flying (because you can't flying up and down and you still need a station to get off)
    (This is like the difference between flying on a airplane and flying like a superman)

6. Ikith

Ikith Master

You don't need a station to get off, you could feather falling potion or use water to nullify damage and shift to get off of the boat unless there was a track to keep you inside (you can also break the boat unless we made them invulnerable which leads to us having to clean up abandoned boats in the sky), which goes back to my original points, at that point we might as well use Minecart tracks in the sky as that would also be less prone to abuse and abandoned flying boats etc., or ya know just use the warp buttons which are instant and save us the time from making this abuse proof.

Edit:
    Not to mention, boats are entities, too many entities cause lag, having a ton of boats abandoned in the air would be a bad idea...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  7. I don't really think it can be abused, the reason why track won't work is because it will mess up with player claims and rails in the sky looks weird, plus it's still a big pain for a new player to visit someone else's home far away (if you are walking getting through rough terrain is super painful and flying boats solve that) and still, it's nowhere as op as flying as flying's opens come from it's vertical transport ability (as well as it's speed)
    well crafting boats and putting them everywhere is easier...
    (well making summoning a boat cost 1 xp level can also help

8. Ikith

Ikith Master

well crafting boats and putting them everywhere is easier...[/QUOTE]

I mean I can keep going with the flaws. Here's a list some I've covered already and you've ignored and some that are new:
    1. Boats are entities too many entities cause problems.
    2. Why just give players nerfed fly?
    3. Boats can't move up and down so if a player encounters a mountain they have to go around it anyway coming back full circle with your arguement for this idea.
    4. Following up on 3, yes we could put them higher than any known mountains but that would cause MORE issues with players dismounting as well as again back to 1, abandoned boats, if a player jumps off without breaking the boat a mod has to be called making more work for us.
    5. You can jump off of the boat without being at the airport.
    6. Theoretically even if you couldn't jump off of the boat you are suggesting putting airports AT THE WARPS, so why not just use the warp buttons if you can only dismount at the airports?!
    7. (Following up on your rebuttle to boats being entities) Yes players could just make a crap ton of boats, but at least they wouldn't be flying in the air everywhere abandoned, where mods have to take time to search for them.
    8. This creates more work for moderators for a whole slew of reasons, most of them mentioned above (cleaning un abandoned boats etc).
    9. If we wanted a fast way around the players that voted on tpa would have voted yes unanimously and we would have had tpa, but part of this server is the adventure through the rough terrain.

Overall, this idea is cool in theory, but really really bad in practice.

Sorry.

Edit:
    10. While we aren't full vanilla, this is still giving players fly even if its nerfed in your eyes, its still, a flying, boat meaning players would be given a form of fly...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I mean I can keep going with the flaws. Here's a list some I've covered already and you've ignored and some that are new:
    1. Boats are entities too many entities cause problems.
    2. Why just give players nerfed fly?
    3. Boats can't move up and down so if a player encounters a mountain they have to go around it anyway coming back full circle with your arguement for this idea.
    4. Following up on 3, yes we could put them higher than any known mountains but that would cause MORE issues with players dismounting as well as again back to 1, abandoned boats, if a player jumps off without breaking the boat a mod has to be called making more work for us.
    5. You can jump off of the boat without being at the airport.
    6. Theoretically even if you couldn't jump off of the boat you are suggesting putting airports AT THE WARPS, so why not just use the warp buttons if you can only dismount at the airports?!
    7. (Following up on your rebuttle to boats being entities) Yes players could just make a crap ton of boats, but at least they wouldn't be flying in the air everywhere abandoned, where mods have to take time to search for them.
    8. This creates more work for moderators for a whole slew of reasons, most of them mentioned above (cleaning un abandoned boats etc).
    9. If we wanted a fast way around the players that voted on tpa would have voted yes unanimously and we would have had tpa, but part of this server is the adventure through the rough terrain.

Overall, this idea is cool in theory, but really really bad in practice.

Sorry.[/QUOTE]
    Some explanation:
    For 2, I don't really understand what you mean D:
    For 2 and 4, remember that we can shoot boat off with arrows and if we put boats at y=130 (which is higher than most mountains) no mod is needed in clearing boats
    For 5 and 6: I do mention making ppl able to make their own station by selling command blocks, even if that won't work players can still manually drive boats into their own ports for later use. The airports at warps are just set up for a "travel hub"
    For 7: making it take a amount of xp (1-5 lvls) to summon a boat will greatly reduce boat spamming
    For 9: tpa is voted out because it's too op and takes the fun of traveling away, and making your way through rough terrain is probably not that enjoyable
    Again, I doubt if most players will abandon boats in mid-air, maybe we can notify the player when summoning the boat by telling "please do not leave the boat at the middle at nowhere" given most of our players are pretty nice I don't think it will be a big issue (especially when you have to invest xp on a boat)

Imma explain why I choose flying boats over other transportation method:
    Rail: need loads of tracks (considering rail duping is not allowed it can be a serious pain to get the rails), need lots of man power to construct and is slow
    Ice Boat: High cost of construction, hard to get around a claim
    Elytra: New players can't get those
    Ender pearl: It's sometime hard to throw them correctly (especially if you are in a dense forest)
    tpa: takes away the fun of traveling

10. Ikith

Ikith Master

In your order:
    1. What I mean by 2, is why just give someone nerfed fly, if we're giving fly, why not just give fly?!
    2. If a boat is too high and the land is too low for where the player is traveling you cannot shot the boat down, which again goes back to needing mods to clear it out.
    3. We would never sell command blocks... ever... no really, ever!
    4. That's far too cheap to keep people from abandoning boats, 1-5 levels is very easy to gain. It would need to be expensive enough to discourage players from straight up leaving a boat sitting in the sky, and probably not just exp levels either.
    6. TPA was voted out because TPA took the work and commitment out of traveling, the same thing this would do.
    7. With the price you are proposing, there is no incentive of going and getting an abandoned or lost boat back or trying to find one. Also its impossible to tell who left a boat somewhere unless its in their claim since a command block is making the boat. It would be impossible to enforce any rule saying "don't leave boats sitting around".

And back to one of the largest points in this:
    While we aren't full vanilla, this is still giving players fly even if its nerfed in your eyes, its still, a flying, boat meaning players would be given a form of fly...

Even if its nerfed fly, its still fly, and you cannot argue against that.

I'm sorry but at this point I really see no advantage to adding this as a system, there are few pros and many many cons to this even if you wish to ignore them.

11. ok the quotes are all messed up here....
    1. I don't think flying boats is that much of a fly when compared to elytra
    2. I would say at y=130 it's less of a pain to shoot it down and even if it's too high ppl can just pillar up a bit, no mod needed in this.
    3. well.... Still, players can still manually drive boats into their own ports for later use
    4. Idk about price, but I do think a price is needed
    6. The purpose of flying boats is to keep the fun of traveling while taking the pain away from it: remember you still need to keep pressing the w and it's not even that fast (8m/s)
    7. The problem here is the definition of fly, on survival server, I see fly as mainly vertical transport (which flying boat can't offer), on the problem of horizontal transport, elytra is already there.
    I would say this is still something that is worth trying, and I do think you ignored the benefits while over-amplifying the problems.

12. Ikith

Ikith Master

1. Flying with elytra has a limit even if you are carrying fireworks, this does not, this is a flying boat.
    2. Do you really think a player that is lazy for a price that you suggested is going to take the time to make a pillar to break a boat, meaning again that mods would find it and we'd have to destroy it. Seriously stop trying to dodge this one, it does create extra work for us whether you realize it or not.
    4. Again it would need to be expensive to discourage someone from abandoning it, it would need to be an investment, meaning something that a new player can afford, which defeats your idea.
    6. I'll restate my original point since you kind of ignored it and kind of sidestepped it: TPA was voted out because TPA took the work and commitment out of traveling, the same thing this would do. This would take the work out of travelling again, whether you realize it or not.
    7. The definition of fly is: move or be hurled quickly through the air, so by definition this is fly even if you do not perceive it as such. Oh also if you don't perceive it as fly, then why do you call them flying boats? Why not floating boats? Or air boats, you contradicted yourself, just saying.

I'm sorry but the flaws still exist whether you realize them or not, and again (for the second time) this is still giving access to fly even if its nerfed.

I'm going to lock this as well now as I cannot ever see flying boats happening especially if TPA didn't happen.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.