Should misleading people be against the rules?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Caspian7152, Mar 31, 2020.

1. When people ask how to enable a client feature, some players will respond "Alt-F4".

When new players ask if SafeSurvival permits griefing, people respond "yes".

When newcomers ask how to random-teleport, they are told to use the "/rtp" command.

And all these are just things I saw today.

Clearly, some people think that this sort of maliciousness is "funny", but to me this just seems mean-spirited and wrong, and I'd like to suggest that perhaps this sort of behavior should not be permitted or tolerated.

2. Players have been warned in the past for behaving in such a manner, especially in respect to the whole “Alt+F4” shtick, as it goes against rule 2 (respect other players). However, perhaps some clarity is needed in respect to these circumstances.

3. This is all correct. Of course everybody does it at some point, it seems, and while most of the time it's little things, we have certainly warned some before based on the question and response. We do not want new players to get the wrong idea about the rules, that moderators may have to enforce more just because someone said that (for example) xray is allowed when a Steve asked in chat if they could use it or not.

Unfortunately we cannot add a specific rule for every single little thing, because we don't have there to be an entire contract for people to read upon joining the server. This is probably why we get the "this wasn't in the rules" statement so often. However, as Nick said, this does fall under rules that we do have listed. In this case, it would fall under player disrespect and flame-baiting.... not to mention that it's just common sense. Of course telling someone the wrong rules is going to get you into trouble. In the end it's already against the rules, it's just not written out in black and white.

4. Ah, good. So next time I see one of these things happening, I won't have any qualms about reporting it.

Thank you for providing this helpful perspective, Blade.