Safe Survival will Block VPNs - How to get bypass permissions

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Shazepe, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Shazepe

Shazepe Admin Admin

Safe Survival will be blocking VPNs today to prevent the server being spammed by players who use hacked clients and VPNs.

If you must use a VPN to access MC please contact me on discord (Shazepe#3575) or on the forums to get bypass permissions. If you do not require a VPN then you will have to switch it off when accessing the server.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I'm not sure I understand. You were very vague in your description, not even telling what a VPN is.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Does this apply if you use a proxy on Chrome?

4. A VPN is a way to Connect to the internet without it showing your Ip Adress,
    You could be located in the UK, and select a VPN location showing that you are in the US.
    The Use of a VPN is that you can safely use the internet without peoply knowing who or where you are.
    What happend on the Server was a Banned player used a VPN to still connect to the server with differend Alt accounts.
    Hope this explains it a little

• Like Like x 1
  5. A VPN basically just routes your internet traffic through an external server. That means that to the website you are connecting to, it will look as if the traffic is coming from the VPN server. This prevents the website (or minecraft server in this case) from IP banning you, as you can change which external server you're using. If you don't use a VPN you don't have to worry about it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. M1135

M1135 Veteran

This is pretty basic knowledge but let me care to explain
    VPN is short for Virtual Private Network

A virtual private network (VPN) extends a private network across a public network and enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network. Applications running across a VPN may therefore benefit from the functionality, security, and management of the private network. Encryption is a common, although not an inherent, part of a VPN connection.

A VPN is able to spoof your location to another one. So let us say you live in California in the United States you could have the VPN state you live in Japan or somewhere else and it will communicate this to the server

For some its an extra layer of security others will use it to get around Minecraft IP bans I know kind of sad.

7. I haven't been able to figure out how to make minecraft work with a VPN. I turn it on, then open MC and it won't let me play. What do i do then anyway?

8. Probably out of the scope of this thread but if you want any help message me on discord.

9. P0VA

P0VA Recruit

This is good news for the staff team, as some players , or visitors/ new people coming to check us out, you know there are times were you cannot issue and ip ban. I remember one time around 3 am, ikith and me were online dealing with some rude players and I requested his help, and the player had like 50 alts all on a VPN so we just had to sit there throwing bans at them until they gave up and left. And this will also be handy for players wishing to return but are not allowed. vpns are scary to deal with, one of the beneficial outcomes is your own protection, but nobody will be able to protect you if someone else is using it for harm. we cannot allow vpns to govern their own rulings. sorry for this rant , I just like discussing it because its motivating to think about :).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Ikith

Ikith Master

I remember this actually, pain in the butt.

I do like the concept of not allowing VPNs but I've already encountered an issue with it myself, I personally don't use a VPN, never have, never will, yet after this feature was enabled I was prompted to disable my VPN. I had to get schaum to give me bypass permissions to actually join the server.

11. M1135

M1135 Veteran

Sometimes it will mistake actual internet connections as proxies which would be another issue. Also some people have vpns built into your router others IPs are just straight up dynamic and change every time you restart your router etc

12. Ikith

Ikith Master

None of the above apply to me, no proxy, no vpn built in (I have enterprise grade equipment running in my house that I've set up myself), and a static IP, so unless my ISP is doing some stuff on their end then the VPN filtering plugin does have some flaws.

13. I'm kind of worried about the player base because of the vpn block.
    I have seen a dozen of people now since the block not being able to join on the server even when they don't have a vpn.
    New players trying to join might not look up on the forum or join the discord to message shaz to join, they might not know what to do and just move on to join another server.