March Build Comp 2020

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by SkyFlower, Feb 21, 2020.

1. SkyFlower

SkyFlower Moderator Moderator

Hello everyone,

Event staff is holding a building contest in the build competition warp from the last map! This build contest will be held in a 31x31 plot format and is available for solo builders or for groups of maximum 3. To enter the build competition just contact any event staff member and you’ll be assigned a plot. Alternatively, you can place a written book with your team members’ names into the hopper at spawn or comment below with your ign and your team members. You only need to register once. Fly is enabled inside the warp to help you with your building (this area will be available closer to the start of the build competition).

The theme of the build contest is: “Fantasy”, this topic can include any fantastical creation you wish be it fairy-tale or science fiction. Judging criteria: theme execution, the shape of build, overall structure, material palette, wall detailing, roof design, interior, terraforming, and organics. Your entire build exterior and/or interior can not be copied from the internet. Small decorations may be copied, but will not add to the overall score.

YOU MAY NOT BUILD UNDERNEATH THE BEDROCK LAYER
    Any player found to be building outside of their defined plot for the build comp will lose points on their build.

Signups are open starting today and end on February 29th at 11:59PM EST, the build contest starts March 1st at 12:00 am EST and ends 31st of March at 11:59 pm EST. Winners will be announced on the 10th of April.

The top 2 placements will have their builds featured around the build competition area. After the winners are announced you will have a set time period to retrieve the building materials from your own build if you want. The plot will be reset after that period and prepped for the next build contest. All prizes are one set per team with the exception of the trophy heads.

1st Place Prizes
    Unbreakable Gold Shovel
    Unbreakable Gold Axe
    Gold Trophy Head (One for each member of the team)
    Tropical Fish Egg
    Pillager Egg
    48 Diamond Blocks
    120 XP Bottles

2nd Place Prizes
    Unbreakable Gold Shovel
    Tropical Fish Egg
    Silver Trophy Head (One for each member of the team)
    32 Diamond Blocks
    60 XP Bottles

3rd Place Prizes
    Bronze Trophy Head (One for each member of the team)
    16 Diamond Blocks
    30 XP Bottles

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Skaring

Skaring Villager

Hey, just sharing my thoughts on this:
    That 31x31 space isn't big enough to host some of out more grand ideas.
    Additionally, we have a group of five. Not really divisible by 3.

I'd heard a lot about the past build comps from my friends-part of the reason I started playing. IMO, some bad decisions were made while making this rule-set.

That's in addition to rather underwhelming rewards.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GooseMCX

GooseMCX Villager

I like the challenge of a 31x31, makes me think a bit different about how I go about the build, and as I would join for the love of building sounds like a great event that is a nice contrast to the previous mass build comp

• Like Like x 2
  4. I'm glad you're sharing your thoughts, however I personally think the build competition is good as it stands.

The reason the plot size is small is to give players a challenge and to restrict players from having too much area to deal with. The player limit is also there for the same reasons, to give a challenge and to restrict players from having too many people to deal with. It is also limited to only 3 so that players who are younger or don't have any close friends to build with aren't at too much of a disadvantage.

I also want you to know that the prizes this time are much better than it usually is (from my many years of being on the server) for being the first build competition after a reset and for being a smaller build comp.

Hope that gives you more insight :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. SkyFlower

Hi Skaring, this is not the first time Event staff has run this build competition and in the past it had gone over decently well.

No build competitions up to this point that allowed players to choose their teammates would allow for 5 players on one team. Larger build competitions such as ones for PVP did allow for a larger plot and more players per team, but it is currently too early into the reset to do such a large scale build competition and expect players to be able to gain the materials in a still growing economy. Which is why we decided on predetermined plots so not as much time and materials is needed.

Additionally, this year is one of our best set of prizes for a build comp of this size. With their being smaller plots and less people the prize was created to match. These two build comps had the same restrictions, however we allowed for teams of up to three instead of two for this particular build comp.

Winter: https://www.safesurvival.net/threads/event-winter-build-contest.1802/

March 2019:
    https://www.safesurvival.net/threads/event-march-build-contest.2127/

I appreciate the feedback you have given and I hope I at least answered your concerns. I realize not everyone will like the type of build comp but this build comp is very fun if you give it a chance, but we could not do a larger build comp at this time due to the reset. Event staff will however consider your concerns and consider a larger scale build comp for later in the year.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Can the plot size be increased to 51x51 please (20 block increase) I just think 31x31 is to small for such a big theme. With teams up to 3 I think it would be okay

7. _Hikoo_

_Hikoo_ Veteran

if it possible to be 50x50 would be really cool :) if not its all good
    Thank for the hard work on the build comp its all appricated <3

8. SkyFlower

Sorry, the plot size will not be increased. However you don’t have to make a large build to fit the theme even if you make Rapunzel‘s tower for example it would be small enough to fit the theme. Part of the challenge is to be able to build in the plot size available.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SkyFlower

YOU MAY NOT BUILD UNDERNEATH THE BEDROCK LAYER

Any player found to be building outside of their defined plot for the build comp will lose points on their build.

Rule edit ^

(posting so those following the build comp will know)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ollie

Ollie Villager

How usable will an Unbreakable Golden Shovel be if it is used for land claims. Or is that a removed feature for these?

11. SkyFlower

It can be used to create claims