Clearly Define Claim Trust Rules

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Rougar, Jun 7, 2021.

1. I thought I had a clear understanding of Claim Rules, but apparently I do not.

About a month ago I received trust to claims that were not developed at a warp with the full intention to develop them. I am (was) slowly working my way to them to make a substantial build on them, unaware that if a player checks them and they don't have a build on them that the land goes to the player that checked it and that the trust list is void.

Developed claim - goes to next person on trust list.
    Undeveloped claim - trust list is void.

Rules do not even mention anything about the trust lists. That the next person in trust has title to developed claims, however those claims that are not developed trust lists are void.

What's happened, happened, however I don't want someone else to go through this and have plans for what they were working toward ruined. Am I upset, yes, I'm not mad at any 1 person, I just want the current claim rules to also include rules about the player trust system.

The current claim rules:

• As a general rule, land claims expire in 90 days offline. After 90 days of inactivity, the claim will be deleted.
    • If a claim near a warp or spawn (500 blocks of admin claim border) has had no significant build or purpose given to it by its owner within 45 days of them acquiring it, it will be removed. A notice will be given 5 days in advance before it is removed. If the player begins developing the claim within that time period, they have an extra 20 days to finish building a substantial build. If there is still not a substantial build, the claim will be expired.
    • If you plan to be inactive for a period longer than 90 days, please notify a mod and we will save the claim for you.
    • Players are allowed to request any Staff members for information regarding when was a player last seen. You are, however, limited to 2 requests per day.

I just would like to see a clear defined rule regarding claim ownership for when the owner is inactive and how the person(s) with trust is handled, cause that way there will be no confusion to newer and older players like myself. Thank you for reading, keep on keeping on. :)

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Ikith

Ikith Master

This is actually really informative, I knew claims got passed to the next in line on the trust list when they were expiring (either developed warp, or developed in the middle of nowhere), but never knew they were just completely handed over to the person checking the claim if the claim was undeveloped (warp or middle of nowhere).

I agree these procedures need to be stated in the rules so they are clear and no one is left guessing, I would have never known about the way this works had you not mentioned it or I didn't experience it myself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ye, what sucks is having trust, and terraforming it. Thinking I have trust so it’s safe, it being a trusted claim I wouldn’t have done a player check myself. So it felt like it got pulled from underneath me. Cause if I’d had known about the rule I would’ve built on it sooner as soon as I got trusted.

4. https://www.safesurvival.net/threads/how-claim-expiration-is-handled.3113/#post-16208

It's all there in server information. I've known these rules for awhile myself before shaz posted that. You have said Rougar that it was at a warp and you did terraforming it. It says "The claim has no significant build or purpose to it. Exceptions can be made if the owner is actively developing it near the time of the check" So maybe you could get it back as it was missed during check?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. The thing about that specific ruling is it gives no information on the trusted players the owner gave permission to build on the claim.

"The claim has no significant build or purpose to it. Exceptions can be made if the owner is actively developing it near the time of the check."

It says that if the owner is actively developing and nothing is noted about trusted players, which imo trusted players on undeveloped claims should receive some type of notice or it should follow the developed trusted ruling.

6. I've done a check on an extremely minimal build near a warp but it was deemed substantial enough to not delete the claim. It's so frustrating, and even rude, to claim next to a warp, build for 5 minutes, then not log on for months. My guess is probably that people have the intention to make a build but never do, otherwise why go through the trouble... but still nonetheless very irritating.

I'd also like to see something added in the rules about items being destroyed. For months whenever it was discussed in chat it was only said that high value items like DB, Heads, Staff Items, etc would be taken from the claim and saved, but at some point I suppose that changed and all other items are destroyed. Just hoping to save someone else trouble of going through the claim check process hoping to get a lot of dirt or another low value item like I did only to discover that's not allowed xD

7. While I am particularly unhappy about some aspects of this particular rule, the fact is that when the claimcheck rule was changed there was an announcement about it. I just checked the posted rules, however, and I don't see the amendment there: The no griefing rule says "When in doubt if an unclaimed build is abandoned and reclaimable, ask a moderator for a check. Even if the build is effectively abandoned, you're not allowed to loot it: any valuable items inside will first be removed and placed in the inactive player's inventory.", so it looks like there's still some confusion there.

Edit: I found the following posted on the #announcements channel on Feb/20/2021, but I can't find a corresponding post on the forum: "Starting on 2/21/21 at 12:00 a.m. EST, expired claims that contain any non-valuables will have those items destroyed. This is only limited to if they are in containers. Structures/buildings will continue to remain. We have made this change to prevent players from using their claim checks to loot storage areas in expired claims/builds. We have also added in a one-day time extender for staff to confiscate valuables from an expired claim IF we deem the claim to be too large to confiscate in a reasonable amount of time. This is solely to make things a bit easier for staff members since sometimes it can take hours for us to confiscate a huge base, especially when they're the only staff member on. Players will be let known in advance if we are to use the one day time extender."