Buying / selling discord channel

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by SquareAngle, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Hey there.

I personally think it would be useful for the Safe Survival discord to have a channel dedicated to the selling/buying of goods, and perhaps one for bot commands.

The former would be extremely beneficial because I am sure many including myself find it difficult to obtain a particular niche resource such as enderchests at a peculiar time of the day, since often times only a select number of the playerbase are on. Instead, players could advertise "Buying x! Can anyone sell me a few stacks?" within that specific channel, with a greater likelihood of finding a seller due to the greater outreach that the discord server provides.

Also, the reason why this would be useful as opposed to simply using the forums is because making a thread looking for only one specific item can often be tedious and futile, as the forums is largely overlooked compared to the discord server. Similarly, this could be used to advertise an established shop in a specific warp, or a new map art!

The only downside I can see would be the ability for there to be spam. However, discord has settings that can place a specific channel under "Slow Mode", allowing a player to only advertise once every specified amount of time.

Thanks for reading,

Nick.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yeah it would be rlly useful bc I got on discord and posted something about buying an elytra and it got removed and I got warned so I said there shouldn’t a buying and selling channel in discord and some ppl agreed and some didn’t

3. BladeWave

BladeWave Admin Moderator

I guess since I'm the one who runs the Discord, it's up to me to respond to this, lol. I've been out of town so my apologies on the time it took for me to respond.

I've brought this up to the rest of staff before for their thoughts and opinions, and right now my only concern is how to keep the channel organized. On the forums, each item, claim, etc. for sale has it's own sub-forum which keeps everything organized. Of course, we are lacking this on Discord, therefore I don't want the channel to go off topic all the time and have general conversations strike up to the point where it's a mess to see what is and isn't for sale.

So far, my ideas are to make it a "read only" channel where you'd have to DM a moderator to post what you're selling in there - but that's just a hassle that I don't think many players would want to deal with. My other idea would be allowing Members access to pin messages, so if you want to see everything for sale, you'd have a clean list. However, I could see that being easily abused and Members just pinning every single message they sent into the channel. Also, the staff team (mostly me) would have to go in and clear out the pinned messages listing items that are no longer for sale.

In the end, I'd like to try this out, but I have no idea how to pull it off at the moment without it turning into a mess. I'm happy to make a beta channel for a week and see how it goes, but I'm also up for any ideas on how to keep it as clean and efficient as possible.

• Like Like x 1