[Event] April Build Competition (winners announced)

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by LPO232, Apr 2, 2018.

1. LPO232

LPO232 Guest

After serious discussion and evaluation of your entries, our team of 6 judges has elected

WINNER: ZaiMatCat
    RUNNER-UP: vranya

1st place prizes:
    Unbreakable Gold Pickaxe
    16 Diamond Blocks
    2 Beacons
    Squid Spawn Egg
    64 XP Bottles

2nd place prizes:
    1 Beacon
    Squid Spawn Egg
    64 XP Bottles

COMMENTS FROM THE JUDGING COMMITTEE:

Out of 16 entries submitted, the mansions built by @zaimatcat and @Vranya were selected as the very best among the great estates built by our talented builders. The prizes have been placed into their inventories at the time of posting.

The grading system used by our judges consisted of an extensive list of criteria, comprised of thematic fidelity (10), overall shape (5) and size of the build (5), the quality of the material and color palette used (5), the exterior walls (5) and roof (5) detailings, internal structures (5), interior furnishing and decorations (10), and the use of terraforming (5) and organic elements (5).

The criteria were assigned the maximum amount of points specified above, the submissions were graded by each of the judges and averaged to obtain a final grade. As of this moment, however, we have no intention to release the specific grades for each build, as not to dishearten those who might have not obtained a very high score in the aforementioned categories.

The winner entry can now be accessed via a warp located behind the fountain, for everyone to check out!

The Committee also announces that:

• One entry was punished because the main part of the building was entirely copied off of another player's building, available online on a schematics gallery. Some of the exterior amenities and the interior furnishing were actually made by the contestants, and received grades for it. However, despite the addition of a few particular elements, the main shape, size, walls, flooring, amenities and organics of the mansion were copied.
    Although not specifically specified in the rules, the build contests are organized with the intention to stimulate creativity and innovation, and therefore copying other players' builds is not only frowned upon, but absolutely discouraged. With that in mind, we didn't find it fair to straight up disqualify the entry (seeing as it wasn't specifically mentioned in the rules as disqualification point), but instead judged exclusively the original parts of the mansion, leading to a very low score. Said entry received little to no points on the criteria: shape, size, material palette, wall detailing, roof detailing and internal structure.
    • One entry was disqualified from the context because the majority of it was already built before the contest started, in April. While some of the construction happened after the beginning of the contest, far too much of it was built before April 1st., in direct violation of the guidelines specified in the main post.
    Finally, we would like to thank everyone for the time dedicated to the construction. The best-scoring half of the entries all looked like works of art, each scoring high points in specific categories. We have very talented builders and, as a reflection of that, the best mansions were really decided by fractions of a point!

I hope you all enjoyed your time, and keep on working in your mansions or using them as functional bases and houses!

Yours truly,
    the Judging Committee.

--- ORIGINAL POST ---

Hey all, for April we're holding a small, mansion themed build contest.
    To enter, build a mansion within the maximum size of roughly 200x200 and post it in this thread with the coordinates. You can build your mansion with a maximum of 3 friends (so a group of 4), but the prize will be the same regardless of how many people helped build. The entries will be judged by event staff members.

1st place prizes:

Unbreakable Gold Pickaxe
    16 Diamond Blocks
    2 Beacons
    Squid Spawn Egg
    64 XP Bottles

2nd place prizes:
    1 Beacon
    Squid Spawn Egg
    64 XP Bottles

You can enter from now until May 20th, 12:00 AM EST
    Winners will be announced on May 24th

Include all members who contributed to the build in your post.

Builds from before April will not be counted.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  2. iofhua

iofhua Villager

I've been working on a tower for a few weeks now. Is that eligible?

I'm building it solo, and might not even be finished by the 30th.

Was just curious though.

3. I got a Build Order in my Build Shop for a Mansion but i gotta ask the owner of the Order if i could use that Order with that Person as a entre for the competition.

4. LPO232

LPO232 Guest

Builds from before April will not be counted, just added that to original post.

Thanks.

5. I didnt start the Build of the Mansion yet btw just only did the footprints só not a build per say hopefully im still in it.

6. BAKA_SENPAI_KUN and FOXKINGLD are teaming for this we will begin shortly

7. Do we have to post before we're done? It was my impression from reading the post that you only posted your finished entry with coordinates.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Question: Will the Judges be using texture packs?
    Old Sever I played on the person judging for contests used a texture pack which I disliked because builds look completely different depending on the texture pack.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Yes, there's no need to inform us you'll be participating with X and X players: just post your entry to this thread whenever the build is finished and ready to be evaluated!

To keep the competition fair, I'm pretty sure we'll be using vanilla, or some sort of vanilla-derived pack (Vanilla Tweaks or a higher resolution version of vanilla textures). Please build with that in consideration.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Assuming using tutorials for certain elements of your build is ok?

11. Just don't tell anyone! ;)

They're actually allowed though, since there's no way for them to be stopped, plus they help with learning!

12. I mean I’m assuming you’ll get marked down though if you only use tutorials or DQed if you straight up copy a build online. I just want to use them for minor things (ex: pool table)

13. I think the Builds should be Evaluated by Creativity and Originallity only tho tbh using Tutorials is kinda lame when it comes to Contests cus its kinda a cheaty way to build some amazing faster even tho its from others.... :/

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mumslayer

Mumslayer Villager

coolio, have just finished laying out an area that i didnt know what i wanted to build in the middle, now i do. off to work building :D

15. Yeah should def be original. I am building it in creative though with world edit so the repeatable parts are easier. Will schematic it into our world. Question: is it judged by building/outside only or also by how it is furnished?

16. Lefik has said that not having a decorated interior can result in deducted points. It's best to decorate the exterior and the interior.

• Like Like x 1
  17. No contest entries will be WorldEdited in. They should be built entirely in survival, on the server.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I don't think that's what he meant. As I understood it, he was designing it in singleplayer, then rebuilding here.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I’m confused, so, if a team of 4 wins the event to they have to argue over who wins what? Or do they each get their own set of prizes?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Only one set of prizes is given out.